Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

iPad2 - how to clean up "Other" storage

This is a discussion on iPad2 - how to clean up "Other" storage within the iPad, iPhone and iPod touch forums, part of the Hardware MUG - Troubleshooting and Discussion category; i want to clean up "other" storage space in my ipad2 which occupied a huge chunk of my iPad's memory ...

Liked
    3 times

Default iPad2 - how to clean up "Other" storage

i want to clean up "other" storage space in my ipad2 which occupied a huge chunk of my iPad's memory space. please help.

Liked
    99 times
    Real Name
    Mark Ryan

Default Re: iPad2 - how to clean up "Other" storage

it's usually the current firmware. if its around 700mb-800mb, that's normal.

Liked
    17 times

Restore and set up as new device. Do not restore from back up. Just sync to iTunes to place back data.

Liked
    3 times

last time i checked it was already 4GB+.. i noticed after i deleted some of the movies stored the "Other" storage capacity increases parallel to the movie size.. weird..

anyway, currently downloading the iPad software update.. hope this will solve my problem..

Quote Originally Posted by cyberathlete View Post
    it's usually the current firmware. if its around 700mb-800mb, that's normal.

Liked
    48 times

Try checking the documents and data files too.

There are reports that it occupies a huge amount of storage after a prolong use, especially with the social networking applications. Unfortunately if that is the case, the only intervention for this issue as of now is to locate the application that has a massive documents and data (settings-general-usage, then click on the application to reveal the DandD), delete and reinstall. This would reset the space the it has occupied. And would increase again after regular usage.
    Life was much simpler when Apple and Blackberry were just fruits. 

Liked
    98 times

If you're using iOS 5, go to Settings -> Usage -> Manage Storage. You'll be shown the top 10 apps according to the amount of storage space they're using (tap on Show all Apps to see everything).

The space used that's displayed for each app includes the app AND all the files/documents associated with that app (previous iOS versions only showed the space the app itself used). You can easily delete the app and all its files by tapping on it and then tapping on "Delete App". Of course, you can also go to the app and choose to only delete certain data files.
    Mac Switcher since February 24, 2003
    13" MacBook Pro (Retina Late 2013) 2.6 GHz Core i5 / 8 GB / 500 GB
    iPhone 6+ 128 GB / iPad mini Retina 128 GB WiFi / Apple TV 3rd Gen / Microsoft Xbox One / Sony PS3 Slim 250 GB / Netgear R7000 Nighthawk / Synology DiskStation DS413j

Liked
    397 times
    Real Name
    Gino R. Punsalan

Sync your iPad in iTunes. Restore iOS 5.0.1 on your iPad. Set as new iPad. Do not restore from iTunes backup. If you choose your old iPad name you will get your bad data back. Then set your iTunes sync options. Sync. You should have your media, info, and apps back. Note that some app data like high scores might be lost.
    MacBook Air 11.6"  Airport Extreme Base Station  Apple Magic Mouse  iPad 2  iPad 4  iPod Touch 4

Liked
    3 times

restored it to iOS 5.0.1... "Other" storage space below 0.20GB from 4GB...

crossing my fingers problem will not recur as there's no other way to delete the bad files in "Other" location but to restore.. time consuming.. all i wanna do is to watch a movie in my iPad..

ty Mad Mac & Patrick

Liked
    485 times

Ive checked my usage and clicked Facebook, it says i have 380mb of documents and data. Is that just the app size or does that includes additional datas and images?
    http://www.brownmonkeys.com
    The Brown Project: A contemporary / urban art exhibit by the Brownmonkeys.

Liked
    98 times

Quote Originally Posted by suavecito View Post
    Ive checked my usage and clicked Facebook, it says i have 380mb of documents and data. Is that just the app size or does that includes additional datas and images?
    That includes all associated data and images for the app.
    Mac Switcher since February 24, 2003
    13" MacBook Pro (Retina Late 2013) 2.6 GHz Core i5 / 8 GB / 500 GB
    iPhone 6+ 128 GB / iPad mini Retina 128 GB WiFi / Apple TV 3rd Gen / Microsoft Xbox One / Sony PS3 Slim 250 GB / Netgear R7000 Nighthawk / Synology DiskStation DS413j

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. 09-24-2012, 02:34 AM